Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fitness Diablog: Learning to Lose Weight

Editors Note: The following excerpt is taken from Laura McBride's journal.Laura began her journey to weight loss and fitness with eDiets in May 2008. She

pilates lose weight 4 50x50 Taking Right Food After Gym To Lose Weight
pilates lose weight 4 50x50 Taking Right Food After Gym To Lose Weight

Editors Note: The following excerpt is taken from Laura McBride's journal.

By Laura McBride

Today I headed off to get another pair of workout pants. Groan. And when I tried on the smaller size that had been hideously tight before? Well, they fit just perfectly - uh-mazing! Mind you, it's still a plus size, and I know I'll be in the dreaded matronly plus sizes for some time (you'll hear the victory cry across the country when I'm into a Large), but never the less a great sense of satisfaction came over me. I dare say a hint of a smile crossed my face even in that ugly fitting room with overhead fluorescent lights - could they make us look any less attractive? It's working.

Pam, my dietitian, tells me I'm right where I should be and that's encouraging. She has given me great tips on eating out, snacks on the run and made me realize I knew just enough about nutrition to be dangerous.

I've been thinking a lot about the denial and subtlety of weight gain lately too. Many wonder how someone can get 100 pounds overweight and not stop somewhere along the way and say, "Hello? That's enough now."

Truth be told, I did stop many times along the way. I always knew yo-yo dieting was bad, but I was absolutely convinced I was on the last diet. There's nothing worse than dieting your way up the scale and there's an entire league of us who have done it.

And then, of course, life happens. Need I say more about care giving, divorce, deaths, blended families, sullen teenagers and perpetual people pleasing? (I'm trying real hard to put that one in remission.)

Eating was always a way to r-e-l-a-x. Ahhhhh It was a way for hubby and I to get away from the house since I work from home (mere steps from the kitchen I might add). It was a break from planning, cooking meals and cleaning - a break from the stresses of life. One night out a week was enjoyable as we lingered over dinner with great conversation. A good cappuccino and a bagel with cream cheese was divine at our local coffee house on a weekend morning.

And while I'm being truthful with myself, I have to also admit I was a heck of a grazer. Just a muffin (nearly a days worth of calories and no nutritional value - such a deal!), or a handful or two of chips, maybe more, but who's counting, right? Ever get caught up in the endless salty/sweet cycle? I want something sweet, now I want something salty, hmm, now I want something sweet again And there is always another opportunity isn't there? It's my birthday, your birthday, his birthdaysomeone's anniversaryIt's Christmas!

Ever hear of those lucky individuals who change one little thing and started losing weight? Ever want to slap them upside the head? They give up soda and voila! The weight starts to come off like magic. How about the women who - oopsey - had a couple of margaritas over the weekend, tee-hee, but still lost a half pound while I ate dry melba toast and cottage cheese and gained a pound. What the?!? I have always had to be very specific in my eating and exercise plan if I was going to get the scale moving downward.

So initially I was feeling, man, this was way too much like work! But already I see it differently. Already I feel how my body uses good, whole food to make me feel great. I'm on the Glycemic Impact plan and after all the diets I have been on - and honey I've been on my fair share - I have finally found one made just for me.

I was a diabetic in the making and when my sugar crashed, let me tell you, it crashed in a mighty way with visibly shaking hands! Not a pretty sight. Not having had that happen since I started this diet, I am here to tell you a scone is not worth it when you can feel this good.

It's not easy to give the old ways up. It's waving good bye to a few things that really meant a lot in my life and it will take time to find new ways. But I am making new ways. I still go to the coffee shop but now I have a "skinny" cappuccino and good conversation. I don't go out to eat as often, but that's okay. When I do, it's lovely and it feels great to be in control of food instead of food controlling me.

I'm learning.

What's a Fitness Assessment & how long does it take?
What's a Fitness Assessment & how long does it take?
Health Beauty Fitness  tips
Health Beauty Fitness tips
Lose Weight And Look Great Without Going To The Gym
Lose Weight And Look Great Without Going To The Gym
lose-weight-fast5
lose-weight-fast5

Related video about Fitness Diablog: Learning to Lose Weight

Introduction to me and our new fitness videos

Introduction to me and our new fitness videos This is just a quick vid explaining what I am trying to accomplish with my fitness vids I myself want to get back into tip to shape and want to Fitness Diablog: Learning to Lose Weight

No comments:

Post a Comment