Friday, August 31, 2012

Fitness Bret Michaels: Eat Like a Rock Star

In this exclusive interview, Bret Michaels shares his thoughts on life, music and living with diabetes.

Bret Michaels: Eat Like a Rock Star  Diabetes Articles
Bret Michaels: Eat Like a Rock Star Diabetes Articles

By Pamela Ofstein MS, RD, LDN
Director of Nutrition Services

Howdo you eat like a rock star?One would think that is pretty easy - load up on everything from chef prepared meals to truckstop delicacies, add a few adult beverages - okay, maybe a bit more of these than the average non-rocker -and you are living it like you are on tour! To most of us, it seems like a bit of excess and good times, but it isn't like this for all rock stars!

*Photo modified to make Pam happy

Take Bret Michaels, forexample,amusician, reality star, business and family man -living the rock star life is something he takes very seriously. His music, family, friends and health are what he is all about! Health? You bet!

Bret Michaelsis a type-1 diabetic who has been living with the disease since the age of six. When it comes down to understanding how to live with diabetes -and keep up with a lifestyle many of us only read about -he really gets it.

Most of us understand that eating well, keeping it balanced and portioned goes hand-in-hand with keeping our weight in check and staying healthy. But for those living with diabetes daily,there areoften many more ups and downs.

So when the American Diabetic Association collaborated with Bret Michaels as the face of National Diabetes Month, I was rockin'! I have been playing Open Up and Say Ahh! (favorite Poison album) for years now and to combine an interview with my favorite rocker andtalking about my passion, nutrition? Life Rocks!

Bret (we are on a first name basis now) was awesome about opening up and talking frankly about his lifestyle how he lives with diabetes daily. Even with allthe success, money and fame, he doesn'tbeleive in changing who you are or what you do - this hands on rock star lives in the real world and deals with the real issues, like food, eating out, and finding time to exercise.

Of course me being me, I wanted to know how he does what he does (nutrition and fitness) to keep it all together. Here's all about Bret Michaels - Rocking with Diabetes:

Do you (want to - hint, hint) work with a dietitian or have you in the past?

Bret: Absolutely. Early on I worked a lot with a dietitian learning how to balance nutrients, portion out foods - sizes; now I go at it on my own.

When it comes to nutrition, how do you manage fitting in your meals and checking blood sugar levels with your schedule?

Bret: I deal with diet on a regular basis. Look at a rock star schedule, it is insane. Up one night till 3 am, then the next till 5 am...it goes on and on. Regardless, I am up early in the morning (same time regardless), checking my blood sugar, taking my insulin, and then starting with whatever breakfast it is for that day.

How do you manage your insulin levels?

Bret: Generally, it takes about four insulin shots a day andabout 6-8 blood finger pricks. I have to check a lot. I heal and deal with being a diabetic, but sometimes I over check to deal with it.

Okay, that leads me to how and what do you normally eat? What kind of plan works for you?

Bret: I live a fairly un-pampered life. I am what I like to call, a hands on rock star. I don't live in this bubble. I live in the real world and deal with real food. I have seen more truck stops and truck-stop food than anyone can handle. I have to make adjustments wherever I go.

One thing is I like is to make eating fun and eat what I like. For example, this morning I ate ground turkey andsteamed broccoli with a bit of cheese. Why do I just have to have breakfast, why can't I make what I want? Breaking up a routine and having breakfast for dinner or dinner for breakfast switches it up a bit for me. I like to eat good stuff. My rule of thumb is keeping it to the size of your fist - it's all about portions.

Life is all about being custom built. You need to build the plan for you. Either things work for you or they don't. Plan it around you - if you work nine to five - find a way.

Any days you go a bit crazy when it comes to indulgences (keeping it rated G here)?

Bret: Football Sunday is the day. Looking at a pizza, my hand finds its way to a slice. That is the day I indulge a bit - pizza - who doesn't like pizza? But if I have an extra slice, it is right back on the bike again. Even if it is a little something wrong, like eating more than normal, I find a way to accept it and make the situation better -for example, by exercising. I am not perfect.

Do you have a standard exercise routine?

Bret: Well, as I am talking to you I am on my tour bus mountain biking (the mountain bike is stationary of course). No excuse, put it to use is what I say. You have to make it work and fit it in. I do half my interviews while I am on the treadmill or doing something to burn the calories. But sometimes it is tougher. I have to fit it in. Take for instance when my daughter has swimming practice, her time is a set time that can't be messed with. My solution, I work out in the pool - I incorporate my real life into a routine.

You have been living with it since you were six, how do you think individuals living with diabetes can get over the hump and make it (diet, nutrition, exercise, lifestyle) work for them? Any words of advice?

Bret: Some individuals I meet are great and totally seem to get it; others are mentally not there yet or not realizing they have to take their insulin or work with their diet. You and I agree on one thing, it is baby steps - brick by brick you will get there. If you fall, you get back up again - no looking back.

Bret: We all have access to someone - a social network to someone is important so you aren't alone. Get on a site and surround yourself with people who are trying to reach the same goals.You don't want to feel like you are in this battle alone.

Bret, there has to be some days that you just want to say, what the heck forget about it all (eating right, exercising).

Bret: More days than not, I want to say not today - what the heck, I want to forget about it all mentally or physically. But I know I can't; I just make it part of my routine. It is just like you said, Pam, first accepting the fact that you have to make this a lifestyle - it isn't always a choice. If you want to take a hold of it, you do it, and the feeling I get when I eat well and work out - it just feels good.

You live in a visual society (body image), how important is it to you to look like a star?

Bret: Never be fooled by a picture. You need to find a body weight you are happy with (getting there brick by brick). People forget that if you are in killer shape, the challenge is to challenge yourself more to keep it there and feel good.

You have gone through some rough spots physically? What gets you through?

Bret: God wasn't ready to deal with me yet... Why I am still here? I am passionate about the things I care about - mind, muscle, music, motorcycles, family and faith.

What next for Bret's future? His endeavors go on and on!

His music, family, touring, book series coming soon (How to Succeed at Almost), partnership with Donald Trump (with Trump Vodka), and so much more waits for all his adoring fans (me being numero Uno).

All I can say is kudos for bringing to light Living with Diabetes in a positive way and keeping it real!

If you have diabetes, take a look at our Living with Diabetes Meal Plan. It will make eating right a lot easier.

Bret Michaels
Bret Michaels
miss that show i also like rock of love with bret michaels and all ...
miss that show i also like rock of love with bret michaels and all ...
Bret Michaels
Bret Michaels
Bret Michaels Has A Six-PackThe Good Kind  Luke Williams
Bret Michaels Has A Six-PackThe Good Kind Luke Williams

Related video about Fitness Bret Michaels: Eat Like a Rock Star

Superbowl fitness tip of the week

Superbowl fitness tip of the week facebook-com This is a quick video I made as an update for my customers to answer some common questions and concerns that came up this week I Fitness Bret Michaels: Eat Like a Rock Star

No comments:

Post a Comment