Friday, September 7, 2012

Fitness Ask Raphael: Overcoming a Plateau

Have a question about your routine or anything fitness-related? Send it Raphael's way at askraphael@. Hi Raphael, Thanks so much for all your

Can't lose more weight? Overcome the plateau - Rediff Getahead
Can't lose more weight? Overcome the plateau - Rediff Getahead

Thanks so much for all your articles and tips! I've been dieting and exercising, and I've lost about 16 pounds! I seem to have hit a brick wall, though. I've been using an elliptical trainer to do interval training about 3 days a week. I've also been using a popular boot camp type workout where you alternate between a minute of cardio and a minute of strength training (things like lunges and squats and using the resistance band.)

I'm just really discouraged because I've been doing that program 6 days a week for 3 weeks, and my weight won't seem to budge. I've exercised more the last 3 weeks than the previous months that I lost so much weight! I'm wondering if perhaps there is something wrong with my strength-training routine.

Following the video, I seem to be doing all the moves pretty quickly to get a lot in within the one minute time frame. I'm wondering if doing the movements more slowly would help. I always think I'm going to be sore the next day but I'm really not. Does that mean I'm not building muscle? The other question I have is in reference to something I read in one of your articles. You said that a person that gets 40% of their calories from carbs rather than 60% would be leaner and would more easily develop muscle.

Well, I've been tracking all my calories and I consistently get about 60% of my calories from carbs, but that's because I'm a vegan vegetarian. There isn't anything I can eat that's just pure protein without any carbs because it's all plant based. I'm concerned that I'm not going to be able to build muscle as well as someone that eats animal based protein. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help! - Carrie

Carrie,

Thanks for reading my articles and tips and congratulations on your 16-pound loss. Well done!

In reference to your question, I don't think you've hit a plateau because of your strength-training program. It sounds as if your calorie intake needs to be adjusted.

Although you mentioned your ratios of protein, carbs and fats, you didn't mention your height and total calories. This would have helped me analyze if you're taking in too few calories. Sometimes when we increase activity, it's important to slightly increase calories to keep the metabolism revved. If you take in too few calories, then it's possible to reach a plateau.

You've been working out hard 6 days a week and it sounds like your intensity is quite good based on the interval training and boot camp workout, so it might not be the workout parameters that are holding up progress.

However, with respect to strength training, I recommend that you use a slightly heavier weight to make it more challenging. You aren't getting sore because the weights are too light or there aren't enough overall sets. Soreness is not the only indication of an effective workout and it doesn't mean you're not building muscle - but it does sound as if you can increase the poundage to make the entire session more challenging. This will also help you to build muscle.

Also, there's no need to perform the movements super slow. In fact, that style is very overrated. Just make sure your form is perfect and the weights are under control at all times during the lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.

The article I wrote that mentioned a person might be leaner at 40% carbs versus 60% took into consideration that muscle is best built when calories are in a range of approximately 25%-30% protein. Also, at 60% carbs you're most likely holding more water than even a slightly lower carb amount.

I would like for you to write to our Director of Nutrition Services Pam Ofstein at askpam@ediets.com and mention that I referred you. Explain your issue related to being a vegan and get her professional advice concerning how to slightly lower your carbs in the most effective manner. Even if you slightly reduce to 50% or so, it could make a difference.

As far as a recommendation concerning your weight stall, here's what I want you to do:

- For two weeks, increase your daily calories by 200. At the end of the first week, check your scale weight. If it has not increased, then continue into the second week with the same plan. I would bet by the end of the second week, you'll be losing again.

- If your scale weight increases after one week, then drop the 200 calories and add one more elliptical workout to your program (30-minute session). Do not perform this as an interval session. Just make it a more intense steady-state workout. Also, increase one of your current interval workouts by 10 minutes.

Hang in there, Carrie. There is a solution and sometimes it takes just a slight shift of calories or slight change in activity to get the progress rolling again.

If you join eDiets, please stop into my Exercise and Fitness support board and I'll personally help you!

NJ Personal Training Tips  Weight Loss Plateau  Fitness Diets
NJ Personal Training Tips Weight Loss Plateau Fitness Diets
New Technique to Overcome Cardio Plateaus?  Davey Wavey Fitness
New Technique to Overcome Cardio Plateaus? Davey Wavey Fitness
weight-loss-plateaus-overcoming
weight-loss-plateaus-overcoming
Fitness First Gyms, Download Your Free 1 Day Gym Pass - Fitness First ...
Fitness First Gyms, Download Your Free 1 Day Gym Pass - Fitness First ...

Related video about Fitness Ask Raphael: Overcoming a Plateau

How often should I change my workout routine Ask Cassey

How often should I change my workout routine Ask Cassey INSPIRATIONAL SHIRTS shopblogilates-com BLOG blogilates-com FB facebook-com TWEET twitter-com TUMBLR blogilates Fitness Ask Raphael: Overcoming a Plateau

No comments:

Post a Comment