Friday, September 7, 2012

Six tips to get over a plateau on your workout

Once someone is consistently on a workout program, inevitably there will come a time when a sticking point is reached. I'm talking about a point when the

Dont Let a Plateau Get You Down
Dont Let a Plateau Get You Down

Tips for your Workout

Once someone is consistently on a workout program, inevitably there will come a time when a sticking point is reached.
I'm talking about a point when the person is having trouble getting stronger in a certain lift, or running or riding faster on a certain course.
This can be a frustrating occurrence, but fear not.
Here are six tips to get over a plateau and take the next step in your exercise program:
Analyze your form - Pick out things you do well and also that you need work on. Then set out to improve your weak points. Sometimes little things like changes in form will help you perform better.

Change things up - Instead of doing the same basic workout routine, vary the exercises, amount of weights and repetitions you do. Variety is the spice of life and also the way to a stronger body.
Perform heavier weightlifting sets some days to build raw strength and muscle and then on other days go to lighter weights and higher reps to counterbalance with muscle endurance. You'll avoid hitting plateaus as often by creating muscle confusion.
On the bench press for instance, if you've been doing 3 sets of 10, try going 3 3 or 5 5. A pyramid 8-6-4-2-1 is also a good choice, adding weight as you go down in reps.

Take a break between heavy sets - When you're in the middle of a heavy set of squats or bench presses, there's no way you should try to whip through the sets. It's OK to take 3-4 minutes to rest and mentally prepare between big sets.

Compound approach - Focus your time and energy on compound lifts - ones that incorporate multiple body parts in one exercise - rather than isolation movements. Examples of compound exercises are squats, deadlifts, clean-and-jerks and bench press.

Visualize - Picture yourself having a good workout beforehand and prior to lifts visualize yourself powering up the desired number of reps.
Visualize yourself meeting short- and long-term goals - and now.

Eat better - Give yourself better fuel and it will naturally improve your performance.

At Home Fitness consultant Aaron Dorksen's blog deals with a variety of fitness topics, ranging from workout tips, motivational ideas and feature stories on how exercise impacts people's lives. E-mail him with comments, questions or ideas for future blogs at aaron@athomefitness.net

50 Ways to Get an Awesome Looking Six Pack  Wild Total Fitness
50 Ways to Get an Awesome Looking Six Pack Wild Total Fitness
How to Move Past a Fitness Plateau
How to Move Past a Fitness Plateau
Fitness Tips to Get Lean, Toned, & Lose Fat  BuiltLean.com - Part 4
Fitness Tips to Get Lean, Toned, & Lose Fat BuiltLean.com - Part 4
best six pack abs tips fitness model taun tran best way to get six ...
best six pack abs tips fitness model taun tran best way to get six ...

Related video about Six tips to get over a plateau on your workout

Get Past Weight Loss Plateau Point In Your Diet Exercise Program

Get Past Weight Loss Plateau Point In Your Diet Exercise Program Hi everybody in this video I give you helpful diet and exercise tips to get over the dreaded plateau when your body just doesnt seem to want Six tips to get over a plateau on your workout

Commonly question about Six tips to get over a plateau on your workout

Question :

How can I get out of this weight loss plateau?

I have been trying to lose weight for over 2 years now, and am stuck at yet another, weight loss plateau.

Six weeks after my son was born (and all the appropriate baby weight fell off), I was 270lbs. I used weight watchers since then (but I was in an accident that kept me bed ridden for 6 months, so I did stop for a while then), and am now at 193lbs. But I have been 193lbs, give or take 3lbs, for over 2 months! It s driving me crazy.

So my question is for any who have lost weight, hit a plateau and successfully gotten out of it. My major problem is that I have a bad leg from my accident, and can t do any high impact exersize, which really holds me back.

So please, any tips would be appreciated.
Answer :
The guy above me is wrong. If it s all about calories, then you could eat 7 bags of chips to get your daily allotted intake. Your body needs nutrients. You should eat whole foods. Eat eggs. Eat meat. Eat greens. Eat nuts. Eat cheese. I find that the quickest way to lose weight is by removing all starches (all corn, potatoes, soy, and wheat) but still eating green vegetables, nuts, and cheese. If you give your body what it needs it will shred that fat that it doesn t need. Don t count calories. Eat good food until you are full. You cannot eat too much good food because you will fill up on nutrients long before you overeat.
Question :

Tips for adjusting an adopted stray cat to domestic life?

Over the past month, a stray cat has adopted my family. A handsome little tom, he turned up under our porch about six weeks ago with a chunk missing from one ear and my grandmother took pity on him and began feeding him until one day a few weeks ago, he walked into the house as if he owned the place, and we ve decided to keep him. We ve successfully litterbox trained him, and I m increasing his indoor-time every day and encouraging him to stay near the house when he s let out, but we really need to take him to the vet and get him neutered, vaccinated, and tested for feline leukemia before my young siblings get too attached. (We had a similar incident last year, when we tried to adopt another stray only to find he was in the late stages of leukemia and within a month had to be put down.)
I m looking for advice from anyone who has cat experience on how to get him to tolerate being picked up, held, and examined in preparation for a vet visit, and how best to get him in a carrier with minimal trauma on his part. I d also like to get him used to wearing a collar and further increase his inside-time, but right now we ve hit something of a plateau because once he s been in for about ten hours, he sits at the door and meows until someone lets him out; he can t be consoled or lured away. Any suggestions would be really helpful to us!
Answer :
First to get him to stay inside the best way is to go cold turkey. Keep him inside All the time (which is safer anyway) It will take weeks before he ll stop crying at the door (and longer before he stops trying to sneak out) As long as he knows if he cries long enough he can get out, he ll keep crying.

To get him adjusted to the carrier- leave it open, put food or treats inside (maybe cat nip) and let him explore on his own. He s never going to like being locked in, but you want it to be as least stressful as possible (he ll like the car even less)

The vet will be trained to be able to handle even a wild cat that doesn t like to be held, so don t stress about that.

For the collar- put it on (he ll hate it) for a few minutes at a time while in the house. After a few weeks increase the time he wears it. It will be a month or more to get him to the point you can take him outside with it. He isn t going to walk on a leash like a dog. It will be more like him walking you.

Source(s):

Owner of 5 cats
Question :

Why am I having so much trouble eating healthy and losing weight now?

At the last week of January this year I was about 230lbs..since then I have gotten myself down to about 191-190. I was exercising six times a week with weight lifting and running. And I was on a meal plan where I ate six meals a day about 2 1/2 - 3 hours apart. I was sticking to a pretty bland diet. I would usually eat egg whites for breakfast and a lot of veggies and fruits with lean meats, white rice, etc. I usually drink water with most of my meals, if not water then Green Tea or Diet Green Tea. But I have come to a plateau so to speak. Every since I got down to 195 it has taken me about four weeks to lose three pounds almost. I have actually boosted up my weight lifting from about 30 minutes to over and hour and from running just a few miles to running anywhere from three to six miles w/ sprints after I lift. Since I do more exercise I only do it five days a week now to get more rest. But why have I come to a stand still with my weight lose?? I can t even stress how bad I want to eat McDonalds or Chinese food. But I feel that if I even treat myself one time I will get too far behind to lose weight like I was. Does anyone have any advice or tips for me? Appreciate it.
Answer :
It sounds like you re on the right track. Don t beat yourself up...reward yourself for your efforts and then you ll feel more motivated. You are draining yourself mentally and your body is beginning to sense that. Plus now that you ve made that "lifestyle change" when you eat McDonald s or Chinese food it won t be so fulfilling and you ll find yourself wanting less of it. You just need another boost...mentally. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment